Monday, August 04, 2008

three games / five stages of grieving

Weekend with the Athletics

Friday
I did not think it was possible that I could want to shank Julio Lugo more than I already do, but now that Jed Lowrie is playing while Lugo's on the DL, Julio Lugo is actually making me hate him more while doing absolutely nothing. Recently I learned that Jed Lowrie is from Salem, Oregon, where I spent three of the most miserable years of my life (AKA college). I wonder if he would have watched the 2002 World Series with me when none of my friends would and I ended up watching the entire thing alone in my studio apartment eating rice with peanut butter and drinking tap water, because I was a) broke and b) under 21. That would have been cool.

Jason Bay is like the new step-dad who is trying really, really hard to let you know that we're all one big happy family now. Every time he takes me out for ice cream, I worry that I'm being disloyal to Manny.

Saturday
Jon Lester had some spectacular starts in the month of July (thinking about his two games against the Yankees makes me weak in the knees), but Saturday's game was the kind of game that makes me think that he's really turned the corner and good Lester is not an illusion. After the home run and high pitch count disaster of a first inning, it looked like we were heading for a 4 runs/5 innings performance at the very best, but instead he toughed up and turned in six scoreless innings. I said this a couple times about Beckett last year -- your ace is the stopper, but he's also the guy who realizes he does not have his best stuff that day but is also able to keep you in the game and eat innings. Jon Lester appears to be that pitcher this season. The baby crab is officially all grown up.

Also on Saturday I saw a guy wearing a Manny jersey shirt and I felt like he was wearing a hot pink mini-dress to a funeral.

Sunday

I am a mostly sabermetricly-minded person, but, last year, there was a certain part of me that was like, "Beckett has 21 wins! 21 WINS! Give him the Cy Young already!" (Although I still think the argument can be made that he deserved it because of strength of opponents and park factors.) I feel like Daisuke Matsuzaka is on a one-man mission to punish me for having those feelings, as he is probably going to be the most frustrating pitcher to ever win 18 or 19 games in a season. Daisuke, I just want you to know: every time you take a batter to a 3-2 count, a kitten DIES.

You know how sometimes on the news, the anchor warns the viewing audience that the following footage may be disturbing to some viewers? I wish NESN would do that every time they show highlights of Manny in a Dodgers uniform.

15 Comments:

At 1:09 PM, Blogger RedSox Chief of Fanatics - Bishop TW said...

Share your thoughts on your favorite player (Julio Lugo's) existence or non-existence with the redsox post 2008. With Jed Lowrie playing the way he is now, I wish we would have traded used lugo in a trade as well on thursday.

Also... one redsox thing i can not make up my mind about. What about the coco crisp/ellsbury decision at the end of the season? We can't possibly be keeping both can we?

any insight?

 
At 5:17 PM, Blogger Texy said...

At what point do the Manny jerseys and shirts go from being an outpouring of grief to an ironic statement? Or to "can't be bothered to buy a new shirt"?

And my read on Bay is that he doesn't want to have anything to do with trying to get the Boston fans to do or think a certain way at all. He wants to blend into the scenery.

 
At 5:59 PM, Blogger always thinking about papelbon said...

TG -- I got Katie a Pedro jersey t-shirt for Christmas (well, Kenny Loggins Day, actually, which is what we celebrate instead of Christmas, but that's another story) 2006, and it seemed to have reached nostalgia at that point.

I think you can only wear your Manny shirt in the spirit of "this is the only shirt I have" if it's worn enough that the lettering has started to crack. Otherwise, no go. What do you think?

TW -- We will never be lucky enough to trick someone into trading for Julio Lugo. Coco's on the books for a relatively reasonable amount of money next year, so I think the team would prefer to keep them both to keep the superman-level defensive all-star outfield intact.

 
At 6:29 PM, Blogger RedSox Chief of Fanatics - Bishop TW said...

There's got to be some sort of half decent starter we could get for Lugo and maybe a middle ranked prospect or two... I'm kinda leaning towards extracting Buchholz from the lineup... but then again... I don't think we'll have much problem once Colon gets healthy. So maybe that would be a stupid trade after all.

 
At 7:18 PM, Blogger always thinking about papelbon said...

um, what does it matter what we get-- it's like with gift-giving: it's not what you get in return, it's just the sheer joy of giving away julio lugo. really, half-decent starter, prospects, team mascot, a broken cell phone and the change in the other gm's pocket, whatever. just TAKE LUGO AWAY FROM ME.

ahem. yeah.

 
At 7:25 PM, Blogger always thinking about papelbon said...

Katie -- I am going to start NOT giving you Julio Lugo for Kenny Loggins day every year. xoxo, me.

 
At 8:54 PM, Blogger RedSox Chief of Fanatics - Bishop TW said...

Yeah... I am not exactly his biggest fan either... bring A-GON back or just give the starting spot to Jed. But it's just a waste to have Loogie here.

 
At 10:21 PM, Blogger always thinking about papelbon said...

oh god! agon. I had almost managed to forget about sweet, wonderful, actually able to field a routine ground ball agon. oh how I miss him...

and thank you kelly. I [heart] you too.

 
At 11:58 PM, Blogger Texy said...

I feel there's a grace period for probably the next 2 weeks or so, where people showing up to the game in a Manny jersey are doing so as a mix between support and protest (against nincompoop Boston media's scapegoating). After that, it becomes a little sad to keep wearing his shirt. Then, in 2 years or so, it's retro cool.

But what do I know, I still wear my Rowand #33 Phillies shirt. BECAUSE I CAN'T LET GO.

(for the record, I also still have a very old Roger Clemens Sox tshirt, which I really need to wear more often just to see the reactions)

 
At 12:00 AM, Blogger Texy said...

Oh: and I must have more details on Kenny Loggins day. It sounds awesome. It sounds... Alright. Nobody worry about me. Why you got to give me the fight? Can't you just let me be?

 
At 9:46 AM, Blogger always thinking about papelbon said...

TG -- Let's put it this way, the traditional kicking off of the Sunday shoes is almost as moving as your run-of-the-mill nativity scene.

 
At 9:20 PM, Anonymous las vegas pavers said...

I found this post to be quite informative. Thank you for writing it so brilliantly and sharing it with us.

 
At 4:52 AM, Blogger oakleyses said...

chaussure louboutin, sac michael kors, ralph lauren, mulberry, michael kors canada, tn pas cher, michael kors uk, lacoste pas cher, nike trainers, hollister, longchamp, sac vanessa bruno, new balance pas cher, vans pas cher, sac louis vuitton, nike free, converse pas cher, louis vuitton, north face pas cher, ray ban uk, nike air force, burberry pas cher, hollister, nike roshe, oakley pas cher, abercrombie and fitch, louis vuitton uk, guess pas cher, nike huarache, hollister, scarpe hogan, timberland, ray ban pas cher, mac cosmetics, louis vuitton pas cher, ralph lauren pas cher, nike blazer pas cher, nike roshe run, north face, roshe run, longchamp pas cher, vans outlet, air max, barbour, lululemon, longchamp, nike air max, hermes pas cher

 
At 4:53 AM, Blogger oakleyses said...

north face outlet, nfl jerseys, marc jacobs outlet, abercrombie and fitch, soccer shoes, ghd, ferragamo shoes, canada goose outlet, canada goose outlet, chi flat iron, jimmy choo shoes, insanity workout, ugg, valentino shoes, canada goose pas cher, uggs on sale, north face jackets, herve leger, moncler, reebok shoes, asics shoes, baseball bats, ugg soldes, moncler, rolex watches, canada goose uk, moncler, mcm handbags, uggs outlet, birkin bag, babyliss pro, iphone 6 case, new balance outlet, celine handbags, lululemon outlet, wedding dresses, soccer jerseys, p90x workout, canada goose outlet, ugg boots, giuseppe zanotti, instyler ionic styler, beats headphones, canada goose, moncler outlet, mont blanc pens, bottega veneta, nike air max, ugg outlet, hollister clothing

 
At 3:01 AM, Blogger expertshelp said...

I really find this post similar to another one i had visited, although the information in it is much more advanced and professional. Your post is a great masterpiece. Thank you for sharing. While at that, i would like to share a link that would be very helpful and interesting. Check it out and also benefit.
Living room mirrors

 

Post a Comment

<< Home